Monday, July 23, 2007

Footsteps


Traced on the wet sand with fingertips
As I followed you along the waves in twilight
You never looked back and you never knew
That the tears were turning to foam.
My love followed me quite as the clouds
And lost his way in a desert storm
But your footsteps remained etched on by me
And we walked on forever.
Here a shell and there a pebble,
Disturbed by the sound of your feet
Touched me in lazy hope of dream renewal
And I promised
That I would return to put them to sleep.
And they whispered his name to keep me from going.
The echoes grew and faded away like the receding tide waters.
Your footsteps remained on my fingertips…
The sand ready for your next touch.
And days passed in silent walks along the shores on the universe…
And stars shone down with quiet contempt at the souls that left the earth.
The shells and the pebbles never slept again.
And he waited no more.
The footsteps and you lay scattered on the beach in a shipwreck of my life’s esteems.

No comments: