Thursday, September 9, 2010

Missing

There I was. In a flimsy white slip, hand stitched lace at the hem, kiddy pink panties. Didn’t have a swim suit. Ma did not think I needed one for one trip to the beach. Sitting on my haunches next to the pool. Baba was in the pool- asking Ma to give me to him. I could not swim. Baba’s out stretched hands took me into the blue water. Then I was running on the wet sands to the sea.

There again. Amidst the rolling valley. The bluest sky and the darkest green. I threw a stone at a lamb. It butted me down. I rolled down the tiny hill, sat there and wailed till my parents finished laughing and came and told me- nothing happened. The sky was still blue, the grass still memory green.

Look at me. In the white snow- a blotch of red. Ma never let go of my tiny fist wrapped around her finger. I took a handful of snow and ate it. I wish I knew then what a snowman was- orange candies were more important to me. I knew a poppy though. Innumerable stars, being fed sitting on the log cabin stairs, blue woollen dungarees, I looked like a boy. The yellow tent blazing in my mind’s eye.

Why do I remember so little?

Where did Ma and Baba leave me and go?

3 comments:

Shaapla said...

Tsk tsk. Still worrying about how you don't remember all of it. Eta je at all hoyechilo, sheta money nei? Kaader jonno hoyeni, sheta money achey?

Jhinuk said...

You guys weren't born then. Not my fault. :P

prathamesh said...

i was wandering ol and reached on your blog...not much into blogs..but after the first entry, i didn't realize when i reached this post...I don't know if i like ur posts, but ur writing is absolutely bewitching...enough said..